Welcome to our little corner of the world where we celebrate all the big and little moments in life. Sometimes a little ant makes our day and sometimes an important milestone marks the day! We hope you visit often, write a comment, and leave with a little happiness!

Thursday, July 25, 2013

School Supplies

It is not even August yet, but we are preparing for school supplies!  I have seen my first "back-to-school" t.v. ads.  I have printed Simon's and Norah's school supply list.  I have purchased jeans and long sleeves, with great "new-to-me" prices; with knees in tact and room to grow!

AND -
One school supply item has been secured.   Rather, hand-made that is.  Yep, we are prepared to store pencils, markers, or whatever Simon decides to put into his shark supply pouch.  I secretly like that there will be a part of "Mom" in his desk every single school day, with love in every stitch.  I secretly hope that he is happy with his Mom-made shark pouch.  I bought the yarn one day, and the next day Simon asked if I was done.  Once I completed it, he put it on his bed.  I think he likes it.


The pattern was great, free, and easy to follow.  I used nylon crochet thread, in hopes that the pouch is more sturdy.  The pouch does not have that soft, fuzzy yarn feel.  I am hoping that it will not get fuzzy, pilled, or ripped as easily.  I really like the sheen and finished feel of the fabric - very shark-like.   I added a few touches for more embellishment.  I slip-stiched around the tail and fins to make them more sturdy and substantial. I single-crocheted around the whole jaw for a more finished look.  Each round I was supposed to chain one and turn.  I didn't like the look of the chain one, so I just turned.  This project was crocheted in the round, but joined and turned at the end of each row.  A bit trickier, but made for a consistent look since the jaw parts are crocheted back and forth.  The only thing I am not the most pleased with, are the teeth.  Mine seem to stick straight out and not point up.  Minor, but a small annoyance.  I don't think Simon even notices. The zipper was hand-sewn in with not much difficulty.  I, perhaps, am becoming a pro at zippers.

Of course Norah wants one, but school supplies in Kindergarten and first grade are community property.  She may have to wait until 2nd grade for her own.  She told me I could make one and stuff it to be a "furry friend".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...



I think you may need to buy a "pet net" for all of Norah's fury friends. Gotta love the fact that she loves little things.

The shark is very nice. I love that fact that you are so creative and can do things to add to the patterns. But, of course, you always had s talent for that as a little girl growing up. You knit doll clothes with no pattern design. You are a very can do person.


Love,
Mom