Welcome to our little corner of the world where we celebrate all the big and little moments in life. Sometimes a little ant makes our day and sometimes an important milestone marks the day! We hope you visit often, write a comment, and leave with a little happiness!

Friday, July 19, 2013

What do you do to stay cool?

What do you do when it is over 90 degrees and very humid, one of the hottest stretches of the year?   One would think of swimming, sprinklers, staying inside, keeping the shades pulled, running the AC constantly, eating popsicles/ice cream, wracking your brain for no-cook meals, playing in the cool basement, etc. etc. etc.

Well, this is what I have done the last few days:
1.  Went to Goodwill solely looking for jeans for the upcoming school year.  Because who is looking for cold-weather clothes right now?  Nobody.  I figured the used jeans would not be picked over and the knees would be in good condition.  I prevailed! I found 2 pairs of size 6 jeans that fit Norah well now (because all of her size 5 jeans are above her ankle).  And 2 pairs of size 6 jeans that are quite long, so she is allowed to grow a bit, if needed.  A long sleeve shirt with a snowman on it and a long sleeve dress for school.  We also found a pair of size 8 jeans that allow for a small bit of growth for Simon.  All other size 8 pants fit perfectly, and I would not take the chance of a growth spurt.  My concern is the next size is 10/12 for boys - what happened to size 9?

2.  Used the last of our fresh-picked raspberries from MI to make our own raspberry sorbet.  It is a sweet and refreshing frozen treat.

3.  I returned some items to a Lands End store, and could not resist perusing the back rack of not-quite right items and returns.  I left with a down vest, a turtle neck, and a long sleeve shirt - when it was 90-ish degrees outside!  I have been wishing for and looking for a down vest, but could never found one I liked for the price.  I just needed summer!

4.  Finished knitting a collegiate scarf for our neighbor.  She is off to Valapraiso University this fall, and this will be perfect for football games and walking to class on brisk days.  It is knit in the round, using a jogless jog.  I love that this is a stockinette stitch, and I knit the entire project!  No purling - thanks to knitting in the round.  The fringe makes it fun.  A very warm scarf; I would repeat this project.  Pattern inspired from Ravelry.

We honestly tried to go to the pool, 1 1/4 blocks from our house.  Two days ago Norah took a monster nap and yesterday Simon took a nap.  Then a rain spell rolled through.  Perhaps today, but storms may likely thwart our plans.

Hope you are nice and cool!

No comments: