Welcome to our little corner of the world where we celebrate all the big and little moments in life. Sometimes a little ant makes our day and sometimes an important milestone marks the day! We hope you visit often, write a comment, and leave with a little happiness!

Monday, July 16, 2012

I officially joined and am part of an "along.  What is an "along?"  It is where several people work on the same project at the same time.  Usually one or a few people organize the whole thing for several people to follow.  This one is on-line, checking in on flickr, and  I am hooked.  Yep, I know only one person in this "along".  My aunt, an amazing quilter, is the only one I know.  I am not a quilter.  But this "along" fuses sewing and crochet.  I love small sewing projects and my heart is in yarn.  I can sew small squares of fabric, blanket stitch around, and then crochet a pretty border.  This may be the only "along" I'll ever do with my aunt, so I had to say yes and jump right in!  Not that I need another project, not at all!  But since touching yarn daily calms my soul and spirit, I embraced this project.

This will be for my curly girly's bed.  I wanted to use the girliest fabric I could find.

So, I bought charm packs.  NO cutting needed!  Not at all.  I can cut straight lines, but not 2 lines square to each other.  The main reason I am not a quilter.  I learned what a charm pack and a layer cake means when buying fabric.
I am now a fan of charm packs, by the way.  

I figured out a layout for these pretty fabrics.  There is a pattern of sorts to my arrangement of fabrics.  Looking back, I wish I picked just one or a few fabrics for the back.  I could go and order fabric for the back, but  I am all set to go.  The blanket will be almost reversible, with lots of girly fun and color all over.  This little girl print will last her quite a number of years.

I started with just one block, to make sure I had all steps figured out.  I sewed the two fabrics and a  right sides together with a cotton batting, turned it right-sight out, ironed and top-stitched.  Then I blanket-stitched around with white cotton crochet thread.  I counted, planned, crocheted with trial and error fervor, until I figured out a  symmetrical pattern.  I needed all sides to be the same, starting and ending with the same number of stitches.  The square had to lie flat with the corners neat and tidy.  I did not want it overly hole-y or completely solid.  I think I have a pattern!


Now, to sew, stitch, crochet, repeat, repeat, and repeat!

2 comments:

Grandma G said...

That's going to look awesome! Have fun with it!

Deborah said...

So great that you are joining in the crochet along!! It may be your first step towards a life of quilting!! And your aunt is an amazing quilter!!!!