We are talking up Kindergarten around here! Simon has been to two years of preschool, so I am not concerned one bit. I am curious how he/we will be the moment he must get on the bus and wave to us out the window. (Not sure yet on all the details, bus stop location and time will be known the day before school starts. I'm keeping my advance-planning mode on the down low on this one, and trying not to freak out about the logistics. This is out of my control, people.) I am also curious to see how he will be towards the end of the first few weeks after going to school EVERYDAY! He will absolutely LOVE kindergarten. And if he truly indeed has Mrs. Eichels, I have heard she is a wonderful teacher. I wonder how much Norah will miss Simon. He and Daddy went to Grandma's for a brief moment this evening and she declared "Simon come back", like she missed him. Oh, and every time we mention Simon going to kindergarten, Norah reminds us she is going to Grandpa's garden.
We now have his new backpack and plastic folders. Very hard to find plastic folders, thanks Sears Essentials on that one! We just have to pick up wipes, pay fees, get through an eye exam and dental exam this week, and meet the teacher.
But at our house, I have had a goal that Simon would listen to Charlotte's Web by Kindergarten. We tried last summer, too early for Simon. This year, Simon has progressed from only listening to a page or two to listening to a whole chapter. Remembering details from the previous chapter has improved throughout the book. He kept asking "Who's Lurvy?" everytime he appeared (bty - Lurvy is the hired farmhand). Wilbur is now at the fair with Charlotte and Templeton, with only 5 chapters to go! We read two chapters this morning after breakfast on the porch. Simon then said "Can we read all of it to the last page so I can go to Kindergarten?" Seriously, what will I say if we finish and have a week-ish yet to go before school starts?
I have an answer for you. We perused our local used book store, hoping to find The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn, more for me than for him. I struck out on that hope, but was blessed with an August special of buy one kids/teens book get one free. I found all the "school" themed books I could find and kept the ones I liked. I will wrap them up and place a number on each one. I think there are 6 with The Kissing Hand from the library. So each day we will draw a number and read the corresponding numbered book during the last week before the big K.
I have an answer for you. We perused our local used book store, hoping to find The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn, more for me than for him. I struck out on that hope, but was blessed with an August special of buy one kids/teens book get one free. I found all the "school" themed books I could find and kept the ones I liked. I will wrap them up and place a number on each one. I think there are 6 with The Kissing Hand from the library. So each day we will draw a number and read the corresponding numbered book during the last week before the big K.
Eric and I have been strongly encouraging Simon to try to ride his bike without training wheels. I am sure words were said to him about kindergartners being able to ride bikes. Not sure on that one, and definitely not out of my mouth! Anyway, today Simon had a very accepting attitude towards trying to ride his bike. He pedaled and rode for about 5 sidewalk squares before his usual steer to the grass and stop! I was so excited for him! He willingly showed Daddy and Grandma at the end of the day. Now we won't be able to stop him! No video as I am not an octopus!
If only such excitement was present in regards to Simon learning to tie his shoes. One thing at at time, I guess.
An annual tradition will be inaugurated the night before the first day of kindergarten, we will go out for ice-cream. One last moment of care free days. This tradition to be repeated every year the night before the first day of school.
I also return to work, part-time, next week and have my usual ups and downs about all of that. Our schedules of school, sitter, missing my babes, doing the flexible dance when things come up or kids get ill. But we have done it before and we shall do it again.
And we are off to an exciting and adventurous year!
2 comments:
I like your book plans. Soooo important that kids love books!
Best wishes for a great school year for all of you!
I love that Norah is going to Grandpas Garden. Precious. Great job with the books! I salute you!
Post a Comment