Way back when I was pregnant with Norah, (which really seems like a long time ago), we decided to add a fish to our home. We went through about 2-3 fish until one was happily living more than a few days in our large bowl. I always called her a "he" and "him" and could not get the fact that she was a female beta fish. So I named her "Mister". (Simon named every fish "Dorothy", from Elmo's World.)
~~~~~~~~~~
A few weeks ago I took Norah to Shoe Carnival hoping to find her some summer shoes. It was a rainy preschool morning and I had only one child with my while running a few errands. The store did not open at 9:00 like I thought, but the PetSmart next door did! You would think to just come back later when the store opened at 9:30, but I was already out, had only one child, and nap time was looming ahead. I had a half-hour to spend until the shoe store opened, so off we went looking at fish, birds, gerbils, mouse/rats and such. Not much time spent gawking at the mice/rats. (Sorry critters, but you once inhabited our house and we are not friendly towards you.) As the sole customer in the store right at opening, I felt a bit awkward when an employee asked me if I needed help. So, the question "What fish can live with a female beta fish?" came out of my mouth. Of course any little tropical fish would do as long as there weren't long fins for "Mister" to pick at. So, we came home with a stripey cool looking fish, that I named "Misses", that happily lived in our home for about a week. (In case you are interested, I bought myself a pair of summer shoes and a pair of brown sandals for Simon. I cannot pass up the "buy one pair - get the second pair for 1/2 off!" Struck out for Norah.)
~~~~~~~~~~
This evening, Eric asks me how Mister is doing, and well, she is just floating around the top of her bowl. Sad, slightly furry, and so NOT alive. Her life was long and happy!
~~~~~~~~~~
Watching fish really is mesmerizing and relaxing, so I am interested in getting more colorful fish. Perhaps not a beta as that limits the social life of fish.
~~~~~~~~~~
What else shall I do with the large bowl with colored blue glass marbles?
2 comments:
RIP, Mister.
get gold fish, we recieved two as a gag gift one died and one lived 5 years. Cindy had the bowl in bath room and I know it was a male because this was the bath room she showered in. Every time she finished showering he was swimming at the front of the bowl waiting for his chance to see a naked lady. He died after we finished remodeling our master bath and Cindy no longer showered in that bath room. Finally he could not take it any longer with out seeing her he commited suicide by jumping out of the bowl and dyed a cold death on the bathroom tile. After a moment of silence we gave him a final cold water excursion down the toilet. Sad day, as always, Mark
Post a Comment