Welcome to our little corner of the world where we celebrate all the big and little moments in life. Sometimes a little ant makes our day and sometimes an important milestone marks the day! We hope you visit often, write a comment, and leave with a little happiness!

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

10 Sleeps 'Til Kindergarten

When Simon went to Kindergarten, I wrapped about 7-8 books about going to school.  He was given one each evening at dinner, with a number taped on top.  Each number was a "sleep", counting down the number of sleeps until Kindergarten.  The only rule was that within the book, the mother could not be sad and crying and the child could not be overly hesitant about going to school.  That message entering my child's head defeated my purpose.  I wanted to give him the biggest pep talk about going to school.

It was lovely.

It is now time to do the same thing for Norah.  On August 16, we will begin our "10 Sleeps 'Til Kindergarten".  Last time, I scoured used book stores and even wrapped up library books.  Here is the line up of books:

10.  Countdown to Kindergarten by Alison McGhee
 9.  Pete the Cat The Wheels on the Bus by James Dean
 8.  Froggy Goes to School by Jonathon London
 7.  We Share Everything by Robert Munsch
 6.  Pete the Cat Rocking in My School Shoes by Eric Litwin & James Dean
 5.  Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems
 4. If You Take a Mouse to School by Laura Numeroff
 3a.  Boomer Goes to School by Constance W. McGeorge 
 3b.  David Goes to School by David Shannon 
 2.  In My Heart by Molly Bang
 1.  The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn

This handmade kissing hand will be given with the "1 sleep 'til kindergarten" book, and tucked into the front pocket of my Lil' Miss's backpack. A little Momma's love with her at all times! (It is my hand).  I may also make hand and heart shaped sugar cookies, for a special kindergarten send off.  If you yet don't know Chester Raccoon and The Kissing Hand, it is a classic to hold dear to your heart.

I love my little girl.  I am soooo excited that she is able to attend Kindergarten as all parents dream, in regular education.  I would be so very sad if her educational career began with more of a struggle.  She is developing as she should, and the joy of Kindergarten will be hers daily.  But, still, my baby girl is going to get on a bus and ride away from me, and spend part of her day with others.  

If you know my precious Norah, you will know that she adores and loves to chat, sing, and play away the day.  That she finds joy in almost any object, that her imagination is huge, that she will befriend anyone young or old, and that she is happy.  I am sad that her little early childhood is ending.  Not so much yet, but I know what all day in first grade brings.

Here she is, with her new backpack packed with her school supplies. She is ready to meet her teacher (Aug. 23rd), and start Kindergarten (Aug. 26th).  She loved school supply shopping, by the way.  She did not realize that we only bought what was on the list, not every interesting item!



Please God, let this next year slow down, just a little bit.  For this mother's heart.  And keep her a joyous little girl.

1 comment:

Grandma G said...

I love how you count down with the books! Have a great year of kindergarten, Norah!