Welcome to our little corner of the world where we celebrate all the big and little moments in life. Sometimes a little ant makes our day and sometimes an important milestone marks the day! We hope you visit often, write a comment, and leave with a little happiness!

Thursday, May 06, 2010

Like Holland . . .

. . . . Michigan, that is. Not that I have ever been there. Just seen pictures. Sort of dream about a spring get away trip to get lost in the tulips, although I would rely on K's advice about that destination. Heavily rely.

Tulips I am talking. Tu-lips! Today was one of my favorite days of all year. Yep, the week before mother's day when the tulips are dying and the annuals are tiny and not yet gorgeous. Why? Well, because Oakbrook Mall (we're talking a lovely landscaped outside mall with all of the heavenly stores where I used to browse kid-free and purchase delectable items for me from the sale/clearance rack because that's all I was willing to spend even way back then - but now peruse the kid stores looking for great deals) gave away their tulips. Yep, 3 tulip drops for 3 days in a row. At 9:30, 11:30, and 2:30 on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday - the event I named "Tulip Free For All". Also referred to as the adult version of the Easter egg hunt. Since I worked the first two days, we woke up prepared to pick up tulips this lovely Thursday morning. Big recycle bucket, Norah's little toy wagon (child sized to pull, not the rider), and gloves for all. We arrived early and enjoyed the calmest and largest drop I have ever experienced. Tulip stems stuck out of my trunk. Norah declared "fun" when the dump truck dumped the largest pile on the ground. Simon knew just what to do. Great helpers, not one of them trampled. Whew!!!

We came home and cleared our load just in time to head back with our neighbor for a second dump. Not quite as large. The second event must not have been as entertaining as Norah snoozed through the whole thing. Seriously, we live 5 mintues away and she fell asleep in the car. That 20 minute snooze juiced her up enough to last the rest of the day sans longer nap:(

I am hoping to see bright purple, slate gray purple, and the orange-red-yellow tulips next year. Since it is a grab-bag, we won't know until next spring. Perhaps one in every color! This helps make the frigid snow filled months a bit more tolerable.

So stems attached to bulbs are laid outside right now to dry, then I'll cut off the greens and store the bulbs in a brown bag in the garage for fall planting. Eric looked on-line and found conflicting information. He read that tulips should be pulled every year - um, since I have so many tulips I am NOT pulling and re-planting. Then he saw that technically the tulips I just gathered are considered "transplanting" and I should plant to let the greens die. Then pull and replant in the fall. Not doing that. However, some tulip greens emerged this spring without the tulip - either duds, rabbit snapped, or my process is not effective. Any suggestions?

Of course I documented the whole thing in pics but right now am too lazy to get the camera and download the pics. Will add later.

What to do with my hundred plus tulips? Here are my ideas:
  • Plant in our "no man's land" where I refuse to water and maintain. Hosta-vill if I do say so myself where a little color would be welcome. Cutting greens will be fine.
  • Plant around other flower beds for awesome breath-taking spring gardens.
  • Give 26 to each of Simon's preschool teachers/helpers since he has learned all of his letters, all of his letter-sounds, and is able to write most of them legibly since starting preschool. For a teacher appreciation/end of year gift. Thinking of Simon writing large letters in colorful markers, color copy, and attach each letter to a bulb. A lot of work, but cute and cheap!
  • Give a pile of them to Simon's and Norah's god-mothers for mother's day gifts.
  • Spread the wealth.

If you are curious to understand what I am talking about, check out my posts from years past:
http://luedtkeland.blogspot.com/2008/05/tulip-free-for-all.html
http://luedtkeland.blogspot.com/2009/05/tulip-free-for-all-second-edition.html

Here's hoping that my tulip day makes your two lips smile a bit brighter!!!

No comments: